A few more recent shots of Instrument Seven, showing the back of the folding picture plane (above) and a couple more views.
A picture of Instrument Seven with a drawing, after receiving paint thrown by another instrument. The paper follows the folds of the picture plane support (behind) which has tabs to match those on the paper and they are held together with bulldog clips. You can see how little of the main throw of paint lands on the drawing (unlike Instrument Five) and instead it catches just the splatter of paint that collides with the drawing pieces.
Some new views of the Bird Automata Test track. The picture with the author gives scale. The bottom image is a stereoscopic pair that will resolve into a 3D image if you go cross eyed and register one image exactly over the other. I purchased the figures on line from an art store in the ‘States in the hope that they would be less pumped up than the artist’s figures I used previously, but suspect they look even more pervy. I will try and find a solution.
Another of the new pictures – this time Instrument Five in stereo.
Usual process for resolving the stereo image.
I have been reshooting Instrument Six – the earlier photographs were too saturated. Here are some tests. The surface on the folding picture plane is a material that retains polarisation, made by Da-Lite Screens. The instrument is seen here in real time mode – to see a shadow floating off the surface on which it should, by rights, land.
Looking through some photographs I found some of the stereoscopic shots I had made of the instruments. Here are a few of Instrument Three.
To view the images in three dimensions, go cross-eyed until you can register one image over the other. You may need to reduce the size of the images a little and perhaps tilt your head a little to keep the horizons together. When you have the image, try to relax to get the full stereoscopic depth.
A couple of extra pictures of Instrument Five in action, with a very laid back picture plane to draw out the throw of paint. Notice the meniscus of paint on the top right drawing piece (above) that is still there for the subsequent white paint throw (below).
A couple of stereoscopic views of a model for a house. It is a sanitised version of the project due to the circumstances that led to this model. The original ceiling became part of another model – I just came across these pictures that I took a while ago as it was sitting on my desk and I threw a couple of pieces of MDF on for the snaps. There are lots of missing pieces, to be held by the white steel armature.
I have just returned to some drawings I made many years ago. I had a request to put them in an exhibition, which might interfere with a couple of other exhibitions that are coming up, so I have made some copies with slight alterations. It is part of the second body project (see here and here) where I altered X-ray photographs of the body and the related positioning photographs to take those X-rays. The positioning pictures (the originals are taken from Positioning in Radiography by K.C. Clark, 1949 edition) have slight bumps on the body that reveal the synthetic organs through formal transparency. I have not altered these much but have developed the X-ray images by spraying transparent cool grey on the interior of the synthetic organs and added soft highlights, which gives a transparency closer to that in an X-ray.
Although I have returned to projects before – there are three generations of body projects (and one that was started about eight years ago but lying dormant) and I am working on the eighth generation of drawing instruments, but I have never redrawn an old project before. I know a couple people whose work I really admire who are constantly revisiting old projects, so I do not feel too queazy about it!